Re: ASCII art

2005-11-23 07:16:14

You can not have two authoritative texts. Yes I understand that it may
happen (probably already did) that RFC text is translation from original written in another language. The reason it got translated however is so that it could be checked on and commented by IETF community and so that it could go through IETF process for publication and the reason English is used is that IETF participants that review documents read English.

That English text then becomes authoritative because it had gone through entire review process where as text in another language would not have
been commented on (its not only substance but sometimes actual words
in text that is important in standard documents). The original in another language after publication can then be considered author's own personal translation to that language, which is although very helpful for those speaking that language, could not be considered authoritative because text has not gone through full IETF review.

The best that could be made with your ideas is possibly to ask rfc-editor to maintain list & links to unofficial translations for RFCs when existence of such translations is reported to them as well as info on unofficial text of the RFC in some other format (i.e. XML). I think in such a case RFC editor should maintain only a link to external site (author or translator's own site) to emphasize the unofficial nature of such texts, but doing it as "caching copy" (like google does for pages) maybe ok too just so its available if link can not be reached, All this would require effort (for programming and for maintenance) and probably needs certain amount of agreement and desire from IETF participants to make it happen.

And as far as extra links for diagrams (for those with other languages)
if somebody creates a translation, his text can obviously use different link for language-specific diagram (and so can XML source or HTML text
of the document to the picture that can be used in place of ASCII art)
and to me it seems the right way to go about it.