Re: EARLY submission deadline (Re: XML2RFC submission (was Re: ASCII art))

2005-11-28 10:09:05

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>> 1. A problem working group is not fixed by imposing arbitrary rules and
>> 2. Arbitrary rules and deadlines are indiscriminate.  They penalize good
>> 3. Rules and deadlines that attack symptoms rather than core requirements
>
> <irony> How nice to know that you think so, Dave.... does that mean that
> we will have no more suggestions for arbitrarily chopping off working
> groups that don't meet certain deadlines for delivering useful output?
> </irony>

Harald,

You think that dealing with the current issue implies some sort of lock-step relationship that determines the correct answer for the earlier topic of working group productivity time-limits?

Please consider reading "Crimes Against Logic" as a remedial effort. It does quite a good job of clarifying the errors in such misguided responses.

At the least, please read my comments (and Ned's) more carefully. I said "arbitrary". Lest that seem too broad and vague, I'll instead simply use "misguided".

The earlier discussion was about a problem that has massive effect on the consumption of IETF resources and also seems to correlate with the likelihood of IETF work being successful. In that case, the basis for a working group productivity time-limit rule is tied quite carefully to a real and basic problem and it attacks it directly.

By contrast, the arguments in favor of having a posting deadline, as a means of enforcing some working group process requirements, has been demonstrated a) not to work, and b) to hurt efforts with legitimate reasons for issuing drafts "late".

So, Harald, rather than straining to dismiss the current issue by claiming that there is irony here, please consider responding to the actual points being made.

In particular, the line of analysis that seems to dominate the current rule, and the defense of it, is to focus only on a particular fear and a particular symptom, and not on whether the rule is effective and not on whether it has damaging side-effects.

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking