RE: XML2RFC submission (was Re: ASCII art)

2005-11-26 02:55:31

--On Friday, November 25, 2005 10:45 AM -0800 Paul Hoffman <paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org> wrote:

At 9:13 PM -0800 11/24/05, Christian Huitema wrote:
An interesting part of the current text format is that it is
defined in a very simple way: so many lines, so many columns,
that's about it.

Just to clarify: there are no number of lines or number of
columns requirements for submitting Internet Drafts. It is
acceptable to turn in unpaginated plain text, and the number
of columns is only required for ASCII art if you want your
Internet Draft to be eventually published as an RFC.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true, or wasn't true a year or so ago. Someone (there was no public announcement) decided that I-D announcements needed to contain a page count. The secretariat responded by (quite properly) complaining to individual authors that unpaginated documents made their work much harder and that long lines broke their tools. And, as others have pointed out, we are now operating in a world in which, if one doesn't have the boilerplate, and _exactly_ the right boilerplate, the submissions get bounced.

How this happened, after what consideration of tradeoffs, and on what authority from the community is another thread, but it certainly has happened.

    john