Re: XML2RFC submission (was Re: ASCII art)

2005-11-29 09:23:56
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 10:38:12AM -0800, Bob Braden wrote:

  *>
  *> > - Making XML-RFC versions of existing or new RFCs available to the
  *> > public.
  *>
  *> many can be found at http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/xml/
  *>
  *> i'm sure that other people have other repositories.
  *>
  *> /mtr

Marshall,

How is this possible?

I went to that URL, picked an RFC older than CRFC2XML and looked at it.
I found this comment:

<!--

     ASCII to XML transformation by Invisible Worlds, Inc.
     http://invisible.net/
     Last transformation: 03-Feb-1999, 02:07:49

     Cannonical version of this document is at:
     http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc2001.txt

     Implementors should verify all content with
     cannonical version.  Failure to do so may result in
     protocol failures.
-->

http://invisible.net/ redirects to
http://museum.media.org/invisible.net/index.shtml which claims to be run
by

        The Internet Multicasting Service
        A Nonprofit Public Research Corporation

        Welcome to the Internet Multicasting Service, a 501(c)(3)
        nonprofit public research corporation. We build and maintain
        public works projects on the Internet.

So apparently ASCII -> rfc2xml is a public works project.

Your deleted comments about possible mistakes are all true, but also
at least mentioned by the folks at IMS.

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc