Re: [dhcwg] Re: DHCID and the use of MD5 [Re: Last Call:'Resolution ofFQDN Conflicts among DHCP Clients' to ProposedStandard]

2005-11-29 06:42:13
On Monday 28 November 2005 20:00, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
OK so why are you proposing a new protocol rather than writing a
description of the protocols that are already in use?

It's inconvenient to use TXT records, because they are not specific to the
purpose.   If the user wants TXT records on the name for some *other* purpose
than marking the name with a DHCID, it doesn't work.

We aren't defining a new protocol - just a new RRtype.   The DNSEXT working
group passed this through last call.   The only reason we're not yet using it
is that, well, it's been very slow getting the entire package through last
call, as witness this current conversation.

I appreciate that you like an opportunity to pontificate about DNSSEC, and am
duly amused that you saw one here and leapt upon it.   However, those of us
who have been working on standardizing a method by which DHCP servers may
interoperate while maintaining DNS records for DHCP clients, for the past
decade, would appreciate it if you would leave off it in this case.   This
protocol has absolutely nothing to do with DNSSEC, other than that, like
DNSSEC, it is related to the DNS.

Thanks.