Re: [dhcwg] DHCP and FQDN conflicts [Re: Last Call: 'Resolution of FQDN Conflicts among DHCP Clients' to Proposed Standard]

2005-11-29 06:45:28
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:13:43PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
You need to get sufficiently specific that in practice, the
implementation of this option is not influencing addressing plans.
For example if servers tend to get this wrong in a way that makes it
difficult for me to have multiple addresses for client then you were
not specific enough.

In practice, at least one implementation today will fail (logging an
error) if more than one A record on a given FQDN is present.

Will more specific text change that?

It's actually the current wording of the drafts that first imparted to
me the contrary, and the means to acheive that, and you might see a
future version of ISC DHCP moving in that direction as a consequence.

So, in my unreliable opinion, it's fine the way it is.

--
David W. Hankins                "If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer                       you'll just have to do it again."