Re: Definition of SFTP ...

2005-12-08 06:58:41

--On onsdag, desember 07, 2005 09:57:04 -0500 "Noël, Richard" <noel(_at_)getronics(_dot_)com> wrote:

There seems to be a conflict in the definition of SFTP; the IANA site
indicates that it's Simple FTP while the IETF side indicates it's Secure
FTP in conjunction with SSH ...

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-03.
txt

My understanding is that FTPS refers to Secure FTP.

Could you help me to sort this out pls ...

I believe that "sftp" in port-numbers refers to port 115, with usage described in RFC 913, which is declared Historic, and is most likely unused in Real Life.

sftp as defined in draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-03.txt defines an URI scheme, and doesn't need a separate port number. It's not yet approved (nor is draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer, which documents the protocol).

So they're assignments in different name spaces - I agree it's confusing, but it's not really a conflict. There exist other "secure FTP" protocols, such as RFC 2228. But this week, "sftp" is likely to be the SSH version.

At least that's my understanding.

                      Harald