Re: Definition of SFTP ...

2005-12-11 22:24:52
On 12/8/05, Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

--On onsdag, desember 07, 2005 09:57:04 -0500 "Noël, Richard"
<noel(_at_)getronics(_dot_)com> wrote:

There seems to be a conflict in the definition of SFTP; the IANA site
indicates that it's Simple FTP while the IETF side indicates it's Secure
FTP in conjunction with SSH ...

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-03.
txt

My understanding is that FTPS refers to Secure FTP.

Could you help me to sort this out pls ...

I believe that "sftp" in port-numbers refers to port 115, with usage
described in RFC 913, which is declared Historic, and is most likely
unused in Real Life.

sftp as defined in draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-03.txt defines an
URI scheme, and doesn't need a separate port number. It's not yet
approved (nor is draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer, which documents the protocol).

So they're assignments in different name spaces - I agree it's
confusing, but it's not really a conflict.
There exist other "secure FTP" protocols, such as RFC 2228. But this
week, "sftp" is likely to be the SSH version.

At least that's my understanding.

Don't forget RFC 4217 "Securing FTP with TLS" which has also sometimes
been called Secure FTP or even SFTP. That is quite widely used.

A good acronym to not use, I think.

I don't see there being much confusion with Simple FTP.  Is the
TLS-FTP protocol in RFC 4217 likely to have its own URI since it is
just an extension to FTP?

     Brian