bozoproofing DKIM concerns

2006-01-04 11:02:16
E> AS I understand it the concern is that people who don't use DKIM
will eventually not be able to send e-mail to people who are using
it. I'm not sure that this is something that people should be concerned
about, indeed, the logic of this kind of system is that if it succeeds
that's exactly what will happen.

Interesting.

I have not heard any DKIM proponent use that logic.

I have, however, heard critics fail to understand the difference between

a) special handling of "good" identities, versus continuing to have suspicious handling of "unknown" identities, and

   b) acceptance of good addresses and rejection of unknown.

Proponents seek to use DKIM for a), not b).

Critics keep asserting that b) is the only avenue that is possible.

So, they are wrong that it is the intent and they have no empirical basis for asserting that it is certain or even likely to occur.

d/

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking