Re: bozoproofing the net, was The Value of Reputation

2006-01-01 16:55:03

On Jan 1, 2006, at 8:35 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Sunday, 01 January, 2006 04:35 +0000 John Levine
<johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:

I hope the message here is not that we should restrict ourselves to developing technology that is idiot-proof, since a sufficiently determined idiot, of which there are many, will do idiotic things with any technology that we never in a million years would have anticipated.

No. I don't believe in idiot-proof technologies. I do believe that it is not desirable to create standards that would give a gift of either technology or justification to those who would use them to fragment the network. I believe it is especially important to avoid those gifts when the people or groups involved are quite sophisticated about using technologies to maximize their short- term economic gain at the cost of global communications and interoperability.

The risks related to interoperability will more likely result from assuming authorization authenticates the source. This authorization strategy may benefit larger domains, but will be corrosive to goals of interoperability and integrity. To avoid the misapplication of this mechanism, there are suitable alternatives to authorization for the DKIM effort. DKIM offers a significant value without authorization to establish expectations. Not endorsing authorization schemes also discourages possible burden-shifting of the short- comings of DKIM. Hopefully, not allowing this tactic will lead to a better, safer, and far more fair solutions.

-Doug