Re: bozoproofing the net, was The Value of Reputation

2006-01-04 08:43:27

--On onsdag, januar 04, 2006 09:54:56 -0500 Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

    John> And the TLS world is dominated by a single signer whose
    John> signing policies are opaque.

Really?  Are you sure the TLS world is not dominated by users clicking
OK trust this cert for anything they see, combined with a lot of self
signed certs and certs from a variety of CAs?  I do expect that most
web sites tend to have Verisign certs, but I have no idea about other
uses of TLS.

Here's an interesting thing you can do if you're an Opera user:

Go into the preferences/advanced/security section and mark all your root certs as "warn me before I use this cert". Then Opera will tell you which root cert the website got its cert from every time you click on a HTTPS link.

If most of the Net uses Verisign, Verisign's got a bewildering array of names....