Engineering our way out of a brown paper bag [Re: Consensus based on reading tea leaves]

2006-01-05 05:39:57
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

--On mandag, januar 02, 2006 18:10:15 +0200 Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s(_at_)rad(_dot_)com> wrote:

The only thing I am sure about is
that
consensus on this list is for keeping everything exactly as it is.

I'm pretty sure there's no such consensus.

I do, however, see a rather strong consensus-of-the-speakers against using MS-Word document format for anything "official".

I think we need to tackle this whole issue, if we do decide to
tackle it, in a much more systematic way.

- what are our functional requirements?
- which of them are not met today?
- what are the possible solutions, and what is their practical
  and operational cost?
- which, if any, solutions should we adopt, on what timescale?

I believe that if we took a systematic approach like that, the issue
of how we determine consensus would be broken into enough small
steps that it really wouldn't be an issue.

    Brian