Re: Engineering our way out of a brown paper bag [Re: Consensus based on reading tea leaves]

2006-01-05 06:26:40
Brian - you've hit on an important point here.  It strikes me that the
process for defining our own document standards has no fundamental
differences from the process for defining any other standard.  Why shouldn't
this archival document standard be developed and adopted as a Standard in
the same way?

I've explicitly refrained from contributing any observations from my 15
years of experiences working with IETF docs in vi, emacs, nroff, Word,
LaTeX, PDF, ASCII-art diagrams, XML2RFC, dot-matrix printers, etc., as well
as experience with Word in CableLabs/DOCSIS specs - because those
contributions would not be part of an engineering process like the one you
describe, and would be simply more hot air if posted outside of a process.

Well, one might say, haven't we tried the IETF process on the archival
document format problem in the past?  And the document format hasn't
changed.  Yup, and there are a couple of (not necessarily mutually
exclusive) conclusions we might draw:

* the current format is the best solution we can devise for our requirements
* the IETF engineering process is flawed

- Ralph

On 1/5/06 7:35 AM, "Brian E Carpenter" <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>