Re: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-05 06:22:45
John C Klensin wrote:

--On Thursday, 05 January, 2006 06:57 +0200 Yaakov Stein
<yaakov_s(_at_)rad(_dot_)com> wrote:

I have never had a problem opening an old file
with an up-to-date version of the SW. The problems
arise when you try to do the reverse. That makes sense
of course, since if you could do everything with the
old version, then no-one would buy the new one.
After all, a company with 95% market has to be inventive in order to continue selling.

I have had that very same experience, only worse:

There was no way of accessing documents from word for OS/2 after somebody
had been reading them with winword. Winword cold, but for word for OS/2
they were lost. Only transfering them to CP/M 86 with kermit and processing
them with wordstar and then transfering back with kermit again made them
workable again. Dont ask what happened to the typesetting.

Well, our experiences differ.  Let's put philosophical and
individual economic issues aside for a moment.  Let's also
temporarily ignore the observation that many members of our
community do their work on operating systems on which the
current version of Word is not supported.  I continue to
consider those issues to be showstoppers, but perhaps the
compatibility argument is worth pursuing a bit.   I think there
are two problems here, plus one raised in a note by Lars-Erik.
(1) I have had problems opening and using documents from
sufficiently old versions, sometimes as recently as two versions
ago.  I even know the source of some of those problems.   For
example, I have never had a problem opening, in a clean and
unmodified current version of Word, an old document that uses
exactly one template and that one unmodified as if out of the
box, contains no macros and no workarounds for obscure bugs, and
does not use cross-references or a host of other specialized
features.  For the record, I don't suggest that any document
that uses any of those features runs into trouble, only that a
sufficiently complex combination of them do.  It has often
appeared to me that the machinery that converts from the formats
of an older version of Word to a newer one will handle the
simple cases well but, especially when the original document is
several versions older, there seems to be some tendency for Word
to get itself into trouble.  And, if the old document contains
macros or styles that are already present in the normal document
template of  the new version but with different definitions for
some of the set... my experience has been that occasionally
things work without side-effects.

For some of these cases, one even has to be careful about what
it means to successfully open an older document.  For example,
there was a considerable period in which a document written in
the then-current (not even previous-generation) version of
Windows Word could be opened just fine with the then-current
version of Mac Word... as long either the Windows version
contained no comments or one did not care that they disappeared
in the transition.

Now, you could reasonably suggest that good document hygiene
would argue for avoiding most of those features, or removing
them in the old system before trying to move documents to the
new one.   You would, of course, be correct.  But to avoid all
of those features eliminates much of the power of Word relative
to, e.g., ASCII editors that are available for all platforms at
negligible cost.  And those extended features, once inserted in
a document, are not easy to remove.  It is, for example,
possible to configure Word 2003 to issue a warning every time
one tries to save a document containing change-tracking or
comments to a file.  But, at least as far as I have been able to
discover, there are no warnings for macros, styles, and the
like.  And, while one can say "don't save", there are, as far as
I know, no options built into Word for cleanly removing all of
that stuff and getting a document into the safest of
forward-compatible forms.  Similarly, there is a configurable
warning when one opens a document with embedded macros.  But the
effect of "run safely" is not "remove all of those macros
forever" but "disable them in this session".  If they are
hostile and if, for one reason or another, the macro-removal
tool (which I'd lay good odds most users of Word don't even know
where to find) won't touch them because of how they are
installed (a common case), they just lie around as traps for
some future unwary person.

(2) If I understood correctly, one of the main arguments you
made for Word was its change-tracking and collaboration
facilities.  I certainly agree about the change-tracking.  But,
as for collaboration, it seems to me that you cannot
simultaneously argue that it is unreasonable to expect
version-downgrading to work and also argue that Word provides
good and useful support for collaborative work in a
heterogeneous community.  Again, even putting aside economic and
similar constraints, we have no way to get everyone in the
community to do an upgrade on the same day.  Even Microsoft
can't keep the feature sets in current versions of Windows Word
and Mac Word identical, if only because their release cycles
differ (nor are those versions bug-compatible, of course).  Even
if we could somehow get around those problems, few people who
obtain Word in enterprise settings are permitted to install a
newer version ahead of the rest of the enterprise, precisely
because of that downgrade problem.   So, to have collaboration
in an arbitrary IETF WG, using a single version of Word, you
would need to be sure that no Mac user is likely to be involved
with the WG (or, given the apparently-risking number of Macs
around IETF, no Windows user) and you would need to organize a
global flag day for upgrades.  Not likely, it seems to me.

Again ignoring a host of other issues, it might be possible for
IETF to agree on a particular, sufficiently-old, version of
Word.  But one can't do that either, since installation of a
current version for one's day job would uninstall and/or destroy
the earlier version.

The problem starts a lot earlier. Never have I seen a word for
my old CP/M 86. Never have I seen a word for my linux .

There is an abiword arround but comparing abiword RTF files with
Open Office RTF does not look very encourageing. Why not RTF in
the first place? Word can read it - even across versions.

After all word documents wont pass firewalls. You can hide trojans
and virae in word documents. That is why many firewalls block
emails and html pages that contain word documents.

Many email filters say plain text and no attachements.

--On Thursday, 05 January, 2006 09:26 +0100 "Lars-Erik Jonsson