Re: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-05 06:17:58
On 01/04/2006 17:09, Julian Reschke wrote:
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
If we use a XML format, why the very large and complexe (700 pages)
OpenDocument and not "our" RFC 2629?

Indeed. Although, at some point of time we'll have also to realize that
there most people when they say "RFC2629" they really mean RFC2629bis.
So, sooner or later, we'll have to start work on a proper spec revision.

Best regards, Julian

As I understand it, one of the major concerns of the people pushing for
alternative formats is a desire to be able to include drawings and diagrams
with something other than ASCII art.

I don't believe that XML does much to help that.

If one is worried about things like including pictures, diagrams, revision
marks, etc. then I think looking into something like Open Document Format
would make a lot more sense than considering a proprietary format like MS
Word.

OTOH, if ASCII is good enough, then I guess there's nothing to worry about.  I
don't have enough IETF experience to have a strong opinion either way.  I
just think that if alternatives are going to be looked at, then ODF ought to
be one of them.

Scott Kitterman