RE: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-04 10:21:00
Word is of course out of the question since it is proprietary,
undocumented, and unstable.  I hope we have consensus on that.

I hope so too!

I initially thought the proposal to use M$ Word as an official
format was a joke. The IETF has a tradition of not caring how
our documents are prepared, that is up to the editor, while we
have a simple common format for our working and published
documents. I personally use Word for preparing my drafts, as
Word works well for me when kept in a single environment (and
"at one point" in time). However, based on experience from
trying to get standards documents from other SDOs, I consider
Word completely broken for publishing purposes. It produces
complex files, the format is unstable and not even compatible
with itself, etc.

Personally, I do not agree ASCII is insufficient. But if others
do I would support taking small steps towards a new format, if
that format is as openly specified, stable, non-proprietary,
and can be expected to be generally readable over time and in
*all* environments.

/L-E