Re: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-02 23:57:08
Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s(_at_)rad(_dot_)com> writes:

Alternatively, it can be created using nroff, (nroff: noun an obscure
outdated mark-up language) or by XML which was never meant to be a
typesetting language and requires installing a medley of tools that
don't work well together and also does not support even simple
graphics.

While I was installing xml2rfc and Tcl to convert XML into text and to
HTML, fully supporting accompanying graphics, I failed to notice all of
these drawbacks that you seem to believe exist.  In fact, I believe my
entire interaction with this medley of tools with their extensive problems
consisted of:

    aptitude install xml2rfc
    xml2rfc protocol.xml protocol.txt
    xml2rfc protocol.xml protocol.html

Somehow this failed to frighten me off.

Neither of these has any support for cooperative work.

There is dedicated software for this purpose that works quite well.  Your
inability to install it on your work computers due to local policies is of
about as much interest to me as my inability to install Word because I
don't use a platform to which it has been ported probably is to you.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>