RE: objection to proposed change to "consensus"

2006-01-04 10:38:42
Brian,

        Yours is sort of a general reply to a question which has
very specific relevance in this case.

        Yes, the current process allows for getting around a few
nay-sayers.

        However, the text objected to in this case argues that
this process should be extended by a process of counting the
people who don't publicly participate in the discussion, either
way, as having tacitly given their approval to whatever side of
the argument the authors, the WG chairs or the IESG choose.

        If we suppose that this might be the ongoing model for
determining consensus, it will never be necessary for anyone
other than the authors, WG chairs and IESG to agree on some
choice to declare consensus - even if the proposal is the most
ghastly nonsense to ever see the light of day - since it will
always be the case that the majority of people lurking on the
mailing list will not actively participate in list discussion.

        The text argues for this extreme interpretation of the
current process - where the proponents of an idea consist almost
entirely of its authors, and they need only get the IESG behind
it to make it happen.  I've seen this done once before, where a
WG chair and AD jointly declared consensus against a continuous
stream of objections.  It wasn't pretty then, and it wouldn't be
pretty now.

--
Eric