objection to proposed change to "consensus"

2006-01-02 22:58:02
Hi -

In http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-alt-formats-00.txt
section 3 says:

|   Furthermore, the authors propose that the IESG carefully consider
|   declaring consensus in support of the change even if a large number
|   of 'nays' are posted to the IESG discussion list.

I object to this text, as it might (mis)lead the reader into thinking
that the methods for declaring consensus were being modified, particularly
if this document somehow became a BCP.  To deal with this issue, I suggest
the removal of the following material from section 3:

|   Furthermore, the authors propose that the IESG carefully consider
|   declaring consensus in support of the change even if a large number
|   of 'nays' are posted to the IESG discussion list.  In that regard,
|   Henrik Levkowetz posted the following comment
|   (http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg39170.html):
|
|   "Following the debate from the sideline till now, it's clear to me
|   that there are at least a few people who are adamantly against
|   change.  I'm not at all convinced that a large majority feels this
|   way.  A poll might reveal more than the relative proportions of
|   highly engaged people voicing their views here."
|
|   Judging consensus through a poll is sometimes difficult.  There is a
|   vast "silent majority" that would support the proposed additional
|   formats, or at least not oppose them, but will not express their
|   opinion on the list.  It is much more likely to hear from the very
|   vocal people who are opposed to the change.  That is, assuming 1000s
|   of participants on the IETF discussion list, perhaps 20 expressed
|   'nays', even strong nays, could be considered a clear consensus in
|   favor of change.

Randy