Re: objection to proposed change to "consensus"

2006-01-05 10:53:21
Gray, Eric wrote:

"It is much more likely to hear from the very vocal people who are opposed to the change. That is, assuming 1000s of participants on the IETF discussion list, perhaps 20 expressed 'nays', even strong nays, could be considered a clear consensus in favor of change."

While I can't speak for everyone else, this seems correct to me. "Do I have anything useful or enteresting to add?" and "Do I think that my input will change the output?" must both evaluate to "Yes" before I post to any discussion. I occasionally post for humor or interest, but generally I follow the discussion and stay out of it unless I believe it to be going badly awry.

To be blunt, do we want every question to be answered by several thousand AOL "Me too"'s? The silent masses are silent because they don't have anything useful to add, and believe that an endless stream of agreements would do nothing useful except test our bandwidth.

We do, on the other hand, chime in when necessary. So, it is "good" and "right" and "fair" to assume that a public question with a default answer has concensus, if the only response is a minor negative one. I, and I believe many others, will simply move on to the next post when we see the question, if we agree with the default answer.

A simple mental experiment: If we have, say, 2000 readers, and we post the question

  "Will the sun rise tomorrow?  We think yes."

then we can expect a small number of disagreements, a small number of arguments from readers who didn't understand the question, a small number of AOL's, a small number of "Of course, you twit! Why are you wasting our time with this?" and nothing else. The vast majority of the readers will not reply, because they agree with the default answer, and they have other things to do. If there is a reader who disagrees in his mind, but is constrained by cultural conditioning or natural manners from speaking out, how are we supposed to coax his "better way" from this reader? We have already posited that he/she/it won't speak up. I submit that the IETF culture should, by policy, assume that anyone subscribed to an IETF list will speak out on any question if he/she/it thinks it right.

    The current process requires weighing of voices, not weighing
of the supposed opinions of the silent.

Yes, _but_ anyone who agrees will not argue. You will only get argument from those who disagree with the post. Unless you want to change the culture here to require an answer from every reader, on every question, thus adding significantly to our daily workload. I'd rather not.

--
Unable to locate coffee.
Operator halted.