suggestion on distributed systems

2006-01-22 12:27:00
I am not sure whether this idea that I am about to write has been
implemented before or not but it has crossed my mind so I am writing it to
you all. Grid / distributed computing is being done these days via availing
of services or giving some services as an application in operating systems.
What I want to propose is what if every operating system which for example
has a networking stack implemented in it, in the same way support for grid
computing / distributed computing is built into it and a separate internet
layer manages data transfer to be processed to OSes which are free.

My suggesionts:
1. Have a variable system built into all OSes which have internet interface
which can allocate space and resources as per what amount of space and
resources are free on the OS.
2. Let a separate new internet layer decide from where to pull data and
where to be put on which system where there is space. This could be
auotmatically encrypted and sent over the net and whereever there is free
space it can put up to be processed or delivered as a service from a
webserver. This same layer based on priorities of the data to be processed
or delivered on net as per required could also decide on criticality and
send it to free systems on internet. I would like to differentiate between
caching and this concept of mine. In caching we are keeping a server to
cache regularly used data but here we have a built in container / system on
every OS on net. Here even the container can study its network and get
trends and fetch the data from required servers and locally keep copies.
Another advantage over caching would be same container could be used for
procesing which is not the function of a cache server.

Example : Suppose a server of paypal has to process millions of records
every month. If a high percentage of this processing is encrypted and sent
to container on various systems running on internet, the same work can be
done with less powerfull paypal servers.

Advantages:
Large saving of bandwidth internationally
Lessening on loads of major servers.
Cheaper and less powerful servers could be put up on net

Kindly pardon me if this has been implemented already. I am a computer
science student about to complete his studies in a few months so I am not
aware of all developments that have taken place. I would be happy to have
your suggestions and feedback.

--
Thanking you,
Neil Harwani,