Re: suggestion on distributed systems

2006-01-23 02:25:06
On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:44:11AM +0530,
 Neil Harwani <neil(_dot_)harwani(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 128 lines which said:

I am not sure whether this idea that I am about to write has been
implemented before

The idea is interesting but it is clearly underspecified. Before a
serious discussion can take place, you really have to specify it more
completely. If you want the discussion to occur at the IETF, an
Internet-Draft is the proper form:

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html

Technically, I would suggest to think seriously about the Security
Considerations of your Internet-Draft...

1. Have a variable system built into all OSes which have internet
interface which can allocate space and resources as per what amount
of space and resources are free on the OS.

The big problem is to create a jail strong enough so that the hosted
programs do not compromise or DoS the machine. This is *not* a trivial
problem.

Example : Suppose a server of paypal has to process millions of
records every month. If a high percentage of this processing is
encrypted and sent to container on various systems running on
internet, the same work can be done with less powerfull paypal
servers.

Very bad example: first, all Paypal requests require access to the
central database. And, second, Paypal would certainly not trust random
Internet machines for its processing.