Re: IETFs... the final Friday?

2006-01-23 15:47:50
2.
Some of us wondered if Friday would be more attractive if the net
didn't come down at noon, so that if you commit to staying for the WG
meeting on Friday morning, and you have a late flight, or fly out the
next morning, you can get some work or email done during the rest of
the day.

Anyone else find resonance with that?

Oh, yeah. In addition to the people who mentioned RGs and ad hocs meeting on Friday afternoon, there really are a bunch of IETF people staying over Friday night for Saturday flights, but you can't find them, because the bars went offline after lunch, so they're all in their rooms :-)

I've stayed for drafting sessions on Friday afternoons - we were the last people unplugged (thanks to the secretariat), but we were unplugged at about 2:30 PM, and we were a lot more productive when we were plugged in.

There are IETF meeting sites where I've found reasonable non-IETF wireless on Friday afternoons and evenings, but it's not consistently "there" yet.

I've also seen hotels offering "Internet access", which turned out to be one computer that you couldn't unplug, in major cities within the last six months. Not at the hotels we have deals with, but not everyone can afford to stay at the "official" hotels...

Thanks for asking, Allison,

Spencer