Re: IETFs... the final Friday?

2006-01-24 06:49:48
Let's not sweat the details on this list.

We've got two points from this conversation:

1. it is good to have BOFs earlier in the week if possible,
subject to scheduling constraints.

2. it would be much appreciated, subject to financial limits,
to have some wireless connectivity through Friday afternoon.

I'm sure the IAD will note these points for future
planning.

   Brian

Julien(_dot_)Maisonneuve(_at_)alcatel(_dot_)com wrote:
Theodore Ts'o wrote:

... not to mention the cost of keeping the hotel rooms for the extra
day or so.  (Presumably if some or all of the wireless infrastructure
is left running until Friday night, it means that at least some of the
rooms can't get released back to the hotel until mid-day Saturday, and
the volunteers will have to do some of the final teardown Saturday
morning.)

Teardown doesn't take so much time (from my last participation to it) that you couldn't postpone the final moment and still be able to remove it the same day. In addition, we're not necessarily talking about leaving it all up. It would be enough to leave a few Wifi spots and a couple of wired switches in/close to the terminal room, leaving a lot of space for teardown work (meeting rooms, most of the APs, cables, terminal room tables/switches/power/printers, backup links,...). Routers and other equipment would go last, but most of the work would already be done by then.
So it doesn't have to be exactly noon, there is some wiggle room there.
Regards,
Julien.