Re: IETFs... the final Friday?

2006-01-23 14:45:23
On 1/20/06 at 1:20 PM +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Tim Chown wrote:

If you look back over past agendas, it's typically a day with around 3-5 meetings in one session to 11.30am, of which half or more are BoFs.

Friday morning is part of the IETF. It's true that generally we schedule about half as many parallel sessions as during the rest of the week, but that means you only need to be in 4 places at once instead of 8 the rest of the time.

The survey results indicate that we shouldn't extend to a full day on Friday, but scrapping those ~4 sessions would have serious impact on scehduling constraints earlier in the week.

However, one of Tim's points is well-taken: We MUST stop scheduling BOFs when the likelihood of people attending drops. And saying "Friday is a real day" does no good if you put mostly BOFs on Friday. If you want people to stick around on Friday, put only the most important meetings then. (And no, I don't mind if my meetings are then. I'll be there anyway.) To the extent possible, BOFs should be early in the week so that they can be chewed on during the week.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated