Re: IETFs... the final Friday?

2006-01-20 05:22:35
Tim,

The web site says:

"We start Monday morning and run through Friday lunchtime, with late scheduling changes. Newcomer's training and technical tutorials takes place the previous Sunday afternoon. Participants should plan their travel accordingly."

Friday morning is part of the IETF. It's true that generally we schedule about
half as many parallel sessions as during the rest of the week, but that means
you only need to be in 4 places at once instead of 8 the rest of the time.

The survey results indicate that we shouldn't extend to a full day on Friday,
but scrapping those ~4 sessions would have serious impact on scehduling
constraints earlier in the week.

   Brian

Tim Chown wrote:
Hi,

Has there been any discussion in the upper echelons of the IETF about the
issue of Friday sessions?

If you look back over past agendas, it's typically a day with around 3-5
meetings in one session to 11.30am, of which half or more are BoFs.

Is this likely to continue, such that if you're from a different
continent to the host, and you choose to travel home on Friday to get
home a day earlier and save a little hotel money, you stand a (slim) chance of missing a WG session you'd like to attend?

Personally I would be happy to travel back Saturday if I knew Friday
was a fullish day, but as it is it's neither here nor there really...
thoughts?