Re: Questions for those in favor of PR-Actions in general

2006-01-26 09:22:58
Randy Presuhn writes:

A more accurate restatement is that some good people have
already left because participation in the IETF was sufficiently
unpleasant for them, and that other productive people are on the
verge of leaving for the same reason.

Well, if they can't stand the heat in the kitchen, maybe they should
leave.

There isn't any venue in which real discussions with real and
different points of view can take place without some sort of conflict
that might ruffle the feathers of particularly delicate individuals.
If it's that stressful for them, they probably shouldn't be involved
in such discussions.  Trying to remove all the substance of the
discussions just to avoid offending the hypersensitive makes no
logical sense.

How much snake oil and vitriol one is willing to tolerate varies
with the individual and how much they're rewarded (in one
way or another) for spending time in this snake pit.

You think these lists are snake pits?  They seem awfully tame to me.
And I've seen much more snake-infested venues produce useful results,
so the serpents are not necessarily obstacles.

I know first-hand of several very good engineers who have stopped
participating here, and have cited the level of nastiness as a key
motivating factor.

Well, there will always be more good engineers.