Re: IETF65 hotel location

2006-02-03 05:04:24
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Braden" <braden(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: <braden(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: IETF65 hotel location

I don't understand why this discussion keeps going on and on, much
less why it started in the first place.

Folks, surely we have more important issues of Internet technology to
talk about, rather than jaw-boning about a task that we have delegated
to a competant organization.  That organization has in general done an
excellent job over the past many years, and I for one am confident they
will continue.  They are sensitive to input, but they get the job
done.  Site selection and contracting requires a difficult balancing
act to perform, between the ideal and the real.  As far as I can see,
they do a much better job of than the IETF could possibly hope for.  I
am thankful for their dedication and expertise.

Let's stop spending our resources micro-managing the Secretariat,
and deal with the problems that we are supposed to be solving.

Bob Braden

Bob

(tongue only partly in cheek)

I wonder if you have the same feelings about virus'; after all, no rational
person would be fooled into doing what the spammers want and so sending virus'
on their way - yet they do propagate.

Trouble is, humans are not always rational, scientific, technological,
engineering beings.  They also have a dark side, one which repays study and the
findings of which are collected in the sometimes under-rated discipline of
psychology.

Any experienced meeting chair will know that there are times when a meeting has
a mind of its own and gets its teeth into some irrelevant topic.  Such a chair
will also know that it needs a very forceful personality to stop this; better
usually to let the fire burn for a while, and then intervene to get things back
on track, as the flames die down.  But the chair will also know that this
behaviour is a symptom, a displacement of some other issue that it is worth
trying to identify and deal with.  In face-to-face meetings, it is possible to
look for physical clues in the people, to cast back over what happened just
beforehand and maybe get some insight.  On mailing lists, this is much more
difficult but sometimes still possible.

So while I see the frustration that you, Bert and others express, these times
are for me a chance to reflect on what lies at the bottom of the behaviour and
what I could do about it.  No clues on this occasion but perhaps one day I will
study the archives and see enough to produce an I-D on it.

Tom Petch