Re: 'monotonic increasing'

2006-02-17 13:02:10
Elwyn

To be more concrete, I have some 1800 RFC readily available and find monotonic
in 54 of them from RFC677 (1975) to RFC4303.

Plucking a few at random, RFC3412 (SNMP) suggests that monotonic increasing
would avoid reuse while RFC2406 (IPsec) suggests monotonic increasing can be
used in the context of replay attacks.  (I accept that in the latter, as in many
cases, understanding the context, the whole document or set of RFC, does imply
that the sequence should be strictly increasing).  RFC2679 (IPPM) is more
mathematical in its approach, where I would expect the term to be informed by
its use in mathematical textbooks, but it appears not to be

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elwyn Davies" <elwynd(_at_)dial(_dot_)pipex(_dot_)com>
To: "Tom.Petch" <sisyphus(_at_)dial(_dot_)pipex(_dot_)com>
Cc: "ietf" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: 'monotonic increasing'

Hi.

Tom.Petch wrote:
The phrase 'monotonic increasing' seems to be a Humpty-Dumpty one, used with
different sense within RFC to that which I see defined elsewhere; and this
could lead to a reduction in security.

Elsewhere - dictionaries, encyclopaedia, text books -  I see it
defined so that when applied to a sequence of numbers, then each number is
not
less than its predecessor, so that
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 2 3 5 8 13
1 2.71828 3.14159 4.18 42
are all monotonic increasing sequences whereas
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 8 10
is not.

On the definition of monotonic increasing: I just checked my memory with
my copy of Apostol (Mathematical Analysis, vintage 1968 or so) and
monotonic increasing implies element (n+1) greater than or equal to
element n for all n.  'Strictly monotonic increasing' implies greater
than.  On line
http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~john/analysis/Lectures/L8.html
confirms this.
Within RFC, mostly those related to security or network management, the