Re: IETF65 hotel location

2006-02-18 18:35:43
Thus spake "lconroy" <lconroy(_at_)insensate(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
Seriously, folks, I try to avoid driving on the wrong side of the road,
so is there a problem in walking about in this area of Dallas at this
time of year?

Most major roads in Dallas are divided and/or have heavy traffic, so I wouldn't be worried about driving on the wrong side, but I understand the concern.

In any case, the weather is decent in March, but rather unpredictable. It could be anywhere from 40F to 90F on any given day, and rapid same-day temperature changes of 30F+ are not uncommon in Texas. Pack a everything from shorts and T-shirts to jeans and a good jacket. Also, businesses in Texas tend to be excessively air-conditioned, so you may want a light sweater or jacket indoors even if it's 80F outside.

In general, that part of town isn't pedestrian-friendly, nor is there anything you'd be interested in walking to other than neighboring hotels. That's safe enough (and just across well-lit parking lots), but I'd recommend against aimless wandering away from the hotels at night.

Also, will the Agenda give longer breaks for Lunch?
- it would seem that it will take some time to get to an external food
  joint, eat, and get back.

If you have a car, there are dozens of restaurants close enough to eat and return over a standard hour-long break. If you rely on cabs, make sure to arrange for one ahead of time so you'll get back promptly. Or just eat at the Anatole; the place is monstrous and handles crowds ten times the size of the IETF.