Suggestion on a BCP specific WG...

2006-03-14 15:33:04
Not that you folks take suggestions from me - but there would be a
tremendous value in creating a specific BCP WG that was a permanent part of
the IETF to manage the collection and IP issues within BCP's.

BCP's are an important part of moving-forward with IP management within the
IETF and it seems to me that they are so important that they need to be
elevated into a forum of their own rather than just being specific to the WG
that they were originally spawned or derived in.

The point is that there is a legal liability with publishing a formal
document called a "Best Current Practice" which deserves a very formalized
process for creating and verifying that the documented method that is being
attested to in the BCP is in fact really the Best Current Practice or its
just someone's idea of something that wanted to call BCP.

This would specifically exclude in the charter of this new WG, and BCP
Program Documents from the IPR or Governance WG's. This new 'repository WG'
would be responsible for protecting the IETF's good name in the publishing
of BCP's

The first deliverables would be a set of documents to define how the IETF's
BCP program works and how those BCP's are made available to other Standards
Processes for their commentary and ratification or adoption.

My feeling is that much of the commercial processes for handling say PKI
frameworks - like the ER's Trusted Signature Use directives and compliance
processes with that would fall into this new WG. The configuration and
management or user's guides would also fall under this umbrella as well.

From a Governance Model this costs the IETF nothing to do really and puts
all of its documents which are likely to be expired in a time-weighting
model by the Industry, in a single place where they can be managed later.

Todd Glassey