Re: Suggestion on a BCP specific WG...

2006-03-16 16:06:20
Response-

No Joel - you are dead wrong IMHO. The IETF doesnt get to redefine the
Industry Term BCP to mean 'some document we publish'. BCP is an accepted
Industry Acronym for a document specific to how some practice is done at
some specific point in time and it is only valid for the period of that time
and the window of how often its 'refreshed or updated'.

So there most certainly is a requirement to maintain and keep the BCP's
current otherwise the name is wrong - they are NOT BCP's but statement's
about a practice at a specific instance in time. This is not something the
IETF gets to change, or to create a 'confusing term to imply this document
is something that it is not' -  its how documents are dealt with in the real
world and in the Audit Community we know this already.

BCP's need a management practice and process to assure they are always
current. This also brings into play that the IETF doesn't have any way of
really terminating something that it published that needed to be withdrawn
from circulation for whatever reason.

Todd Glassey
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <joel(_at_)stevecrocker(_dot_)com>
To: "todd glassey" <todd(_dot_)glassey(_at_)att(_dot_)net>;
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: Suggestion on a BCP specific WG...

A) BCPs have an issue date.  They are the best current practice at
the time of issue.  There is no requirement that we maintain them,
although we like to.
b) There is, as far as I can tell, no intellectual property issue
relative to BCPs that needs to be managed by anyone.
c) There is not any issue I know of to manage with the "collection" of
BCPs.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern