Re: STRAW PROPOSAL RFC Editor charter

2006-03-17 17:10:14
        Harald (who has only public knowledge at this point)

There isn't much secret knowledge... but as an IAOC member,
I feel we've been told by the community to seek multiple proposals
when possible and appropriate, and in any case to be as transparent
as possible in the process.

    Brian

Hi Brian -

I agree with the first part ("seek multiple proposals when possible
and appropriate").  However, we may disagree on the last part ("transparent
as possible").  My formulation would be "transparent" without the
qualifier.  Transparent with a qualifier == opaque.

The more opaque the leadership is, the harder it is to keep keep a system
in place where anybody can participate, including participation by email
(one of our hallmarks).

At the beginning of this exchange, I asked a pretty simple set of
questions:

1. What does the RFC-Editor think of all this?
2. Might we be looking at a situation that would result in a sole-source
   procurement again?

Given the many years of service by the RFC-Editor, I can't evaluate
the proposed actions in context, particularly if they weren't part of
the so-called strawman charter drafting process.  And, it would be very
reassuring to hear a firm statement about the prospects for sole-source
procurement or other non-competitive reassignment of core functions.

Carl