Re: STRAW PROPOSAL RFC Editor charter

2006-03-17 20:49:56

Carl,

Carl Malamud wrote:
Carl -- did you get the other message (the one with
the timeline)?

Yes, I did.

Good - and I'd like to hear your comments on *that*.

> I'm curious about:

1. the opinion from the RFC-Editor about this, in particular
the charter.

I assume you're asking this generally -- I would not presume
to speak for the RFC Editor on that question.

2. what the IAB/IAOC is thinking ... this could be a sole
source reassignment or a simple renewal.

It is *not* news that there would be an RFP for this
role in 2006 -- this is an attempt to get the plan out to
the community for discussion in advance of execution.

As Brian observed, the IAOC has understood the community
to prefer solicitation for multiple bidders on any given
function.  That doesn't in any way preclude the possibility
of the appointment going to our current RFC Editor crew,
but it does mean that the IETF gets an opportunity to
review the task, its expectations/requirements of it, and
the relationship (contract) to carry out the work.

Leslie.