RE: Clarification of my comment on giving up on process issues

2006-03-22 20:45:38

From: Scott W Brim [mailto:sbrim(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]

It seems to me that if we can't motivate people to
review/evaluate/fix a proposed|draft standard once, how can
we motivate them to commit to doing so periodically?  Are you
saying that if we allow them to slap a standard together and
declare it done more easily, that they will be more willing
to come back and fix it later?

I think that the specs are sufficiently long and complex that there is no
realistic hope of ever having a true consensus draft. By the time the spec
has been upgraded to address one set of concerns new ones have been added to
the table.

Hence the proposal for discrete opportunities for proposing issues. SMTP
does not get neglected for 20 years then updated then forgotten for another
ten, nor does it end up in interminable polishing.