RE: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

2006-03-24 13:08:20

From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu]

I think that Dave's message reflects a common frustration in IETF
that we talk a lot about particular problems and never seem to do
anything about them.

Quite so, which is why most of us feel that there should be
a strong
bias in favor of action and experimentation rather than
inertia and analysis.

I hope you're wrong about that, because this is supposed to
be an engineering organization.  It is infeasible to
determine by experimentation how well a protocol will work at
Internet scale.

We are talking about experimentation in ways of doing business at the scale
of an organization with approximately 2,500 or so active members. The
individual working groups have at most 100 active members. That is four
orders of magnitude less than Internet scale.

The comparison is utterly ludicrous and overblown. The IETF has singularly
failed to scale to Internet size. It has not even made a serious effort. It
is extremely unlikely that any organization would work at that scale.