Re: 2 hour meetings

2006-03-25 07:52:18
Thanks to Keith for changing the Subject when changing the subject.

I know you've heard this all before, but it's been getting
increasingly difficult for us WG Chairs to get all the key
people working on a protocol to fly across the planet for
a 2 hour meeting.  These are busy people who can't
afford to block out an entire week because they don't
know when or where the 2 hour meeting is going to be.
(This even applies to some WG Chairs ;-)

Andy, you've heard _this_ before, I'm sure: the reason we do IETF
weeks with many WGs in one place is to foster cross-fertilization,
and to strongly encourage people to become aware of work in
other WGs and other Areas that may impact their own topic.
There are very few cases of WGs that can safely work in isolation
from the rest of the IETF. We're all busy, but missing out on
what's happening elsewhere is a good recipe for getting unpleasant
late surprises when a draft finally gets a cross-area review.

If somebody comes to the IETF for a two hour meeting and wastes
the opportunity of another 30+ hours of learning about what other
WGs and BOFs are up to, that would indeed be a shame.

    Brian