Re: 2 hour meetings

2006-03-24 07:30:08
On Fri Mar 24 13:03:11 2006, Keith Moore wrote:
sometimes I find remote participation (via audio streaming and jabber) more effective than actually attending the meeting. I sometimes am surprised to find that the extra distance makes it easier for me to see what is relevant. I also think it might be less distracting to attend a meeting from my own office than to be in a room full of people who aren't paying attention.

I don't actually have the choice, but I find remote participation generally okay, for the most part, albeit I have the slight advantage of starting off my internet experience in telnet BBS systems, so I'm generally used to the text chat thing, the lag, etc. The audio lag is more unnerving, in the cases where the Jabber scribe is helpfully typing in what people are going to say before they say it.

Many thanks to all the jabber scribes in those meetings I virtually attended, and, just as important, thanks to those physically present who also monitored and used the Jabber rooms, and thus made me feel somewhat like an attendee (albeit in the cheap seats) rather than a "not present".

I'm somewhat hoping that the use of the Jabber server outside the meetings might be able to take off as a method for more high-bandwidth discussion, paradoxically leaving more time in the "real" meetings for the kind of presentations that Keith hates, but this time having them aimed at cross pollination between groups and areas.

of course, that doesn't make up for the lack of face time in the bar - and the ability to work things out in the hallways and generally just get to know our fellow conspirators personally is a lot of the reason we need to have these meetings.

Sure, and meeting quite a few people back in Paris was great.

unfortunately, it's hard to get expensed to travel halfway across the world to drink with other geeks.

"expensed"... Yeah, that'd be good too.

Dave.
--
          You see things; and you say "Why?"