Re: Making IETF happening in different regions

2006-03-23 22:31:10
Making the sponsorship cost in different regions shared among all the
meetings will not significantly increase the sponsoring cost of those in
US/Canada, but will actually help to host more meetings everywhere,
according to the figures that I know.

It has not been, at all, my intend to complain about the sponsors,
absolutely on the contrary. It is great that companies like Nokia (in the
case of this meeting), take the lead to solve the IETF problem of lack of
adequate planning in the last couple of years to find venues and hosts. Is
the only reason we can meet here this week, because Nokia.

I'm convinced that this situation is going to improve with the new
administrative structure, actually is already happening.

To make it clear: Many thanks to Nokia and all the sponsors ! It is
fantastic.

I think there is a big misunderstanding from the participants about how much
a meeting actually cost (and in different regions). What is clear is that:

1) The hotel bills may contribute a bit to the cost of the event, but not
really so much as you believe, and seems to be very dependant on the
location.

2) The fees only cover a small portion of the cost.

3) Long time ago the host responsibility was basically to provide the
network/connectivity, terminal room and if they wish so, organize the
social. This is no longer true and at least since Yokohama (I may be wrong),
the host need to contribute with a big amount of money to make it possible.

I will say that today we can't talk anymore about host, but sponsor(s).

Regards,
Jordi