Re: Making IETF happening in different regions

2006-03-23 23:43:23
Let me rephrase it for a better understanding:

I agree that some kind of confidentiality in the negotiation is required,
but the common starting point for the overall sponsorship cost should be
openly well-known. I think this thread has demonstrated the general
ignorance about the real costs, which in turn, doesn't help to take a good
decision about the right model to follow.

The confidentiality is needed mainly because small sponsorship variations
due to local specifics.

Moreover, is ridiculous to keep the process secret when people who may be
involved or informed about the negotiation being part of IETF bodies, and
should keep the confidentiality about that, may be spreading rumors before
they are facts.

I also agree with you, I'm very concerned and noticed this very recently,
about the lack of openness in IETF protocol development, which seem to turn
into secret negotiations and long-time planned WG guidance.

Regards,
Jordi

PS: I may be wrong, but I think that I know slightly more about meeting
logistics and negotiation than probably the average protocol engineer,
having organized entirely myself 3 events for up to 800 people, some others
for about half that people, and participated in all the details for a 3500+
event, in addition to several international exhibitions. I'm missing an IETF
itself though :-(.