Re: Moving from "hosts" to "sponsors"

2006-03-23 23:43:23

Andy,

I have been involved as local host now for two times (although I
wasn't very local this time ;-)). I agree that it doesn't make sense
to build a network each and every time completely from scratch. It is
an enormous effort to beg potential sponsors for accesspoints (or
spend a lot of money to buy them), to figure out how to build a
terminal room and how to equip it, to buy servers and install
monitoring software that gets wiped out right after the meeting to
mention just a few examples. Luckily, we and the very experienced
group of volunteers that helped us did have some memories
(nightmares?) from previous meetings but it would have been way more
efficient if a lot of the building blocks were simply already in place
before a host even volunteers to be the host (and I think a host would
more easily take on this role if the job was a bit more manageable).

I personally believe that we would be better off if the same
experienced (paid for) group would build the network each and every
time with the same equipment owned by IETF, while the sponsor does
what they are best at, and that is providing funding for the actual
meeting.

David Kessens
PS it will also be easier to deal with complaints: no cookies at the
   break ? well, maybe you or employer should have sponsored the
   break then.
---