Re: Moving from "hosts" to "sponsors"

I guess I was just wishing out loud when I said maybe the
meeting fee could trend down instead of up.  I would be happy
if the IETF had more control over the meetings

We have complete control since December 15, 2005.

so the fees
were stable,

The fees have to cover our costs. It would be wonderful
if the costs were stable too, but they're not.

the network was stable (use sponsor money to
buy more gear and let our ace NOC team control it),

Firstly "our" NOC team is a group of volunteers. Secondly,
they are always significantly helped by the local host. Thirdly,
we do have some equipment but it's unclear that it's practical
to own 100% of what we need and to ship it to international
locations.

the venues were set far enough in advance to give me
the maximum travel options.

Agreed, we are trying to get ahead of the game on fixing locations.

The old single sponsor system isn't working anymore.
I'm concerned the IETF will fix the problem by raising
the meeting fee $50 every 6 months.

This year is the first time we have actually had full visibility
of the budget, now 100% controlled by IASA. So while I fully
agree with this concern, it's only when we plan the 2007 budget
that we'll have a complete handle on these questions.

   Brian