Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

2006-03-24 16:23:52
On 18:47 24/03/2006, Keith Moore said:
My question is - do others see this as a problem, and (without trying
to propose a concrete solution that will be seen as a threat) is there
a shared sense that this is a problem and general willingness to try
new ways of conducting our discussions?

I do.

I would add to the list of examples from my own experience IDNA, Langtags, ethics.

I proposed a very simple solution which is the position links: every active participant maintains a position statement page. The consensus us when all the pages are white or equivalent. Considerably reduces volume. Everyone can evaluate rough consensus easily. In case of appeal the full file is here. Every outsider poping into the debate (for example to advise on an area of his expertise) can brief himself in minutes, and leave/update a comment of reference.

This was worked at at the WG-Review of the DNSO. I implemented it for some arduous debates. It works well. It would however be great if someone worked out a "plink" tool (as there are for blogs). Chair could use it to list the points he currently sees as needing to be solved. Rule here as always: KISS.

jfc