Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

2006-03-24 12:28:35
On Fri Mar 24 17:47:04 2006, Keith Moore wrote:
I think that Dave's message reflects a common frustration in IETF that we talk a lot about particular problems and never seem to do anything about them. When people express that frustration, they often seem to think that the solution to this frustration is to do something rather than just talk about it. In other words, they prefer experimentation to analysis. I share the frustration, but have some doubts about the
solution.

What you're saying, I've also heard people complain about in reverse.

In other words, there are working groups where a substantial number of people involved in the discussion are not only not going to be implementing the proposals, but don't actually do any kind of implementation within the "sphere" - we're talking about people discussing the precise semantics of some HTTP extension who aren't involved in doing any webserver related programming, or some people discussing an email issue who limit their interaction with email to having an email address.

Or, if you prefer, people are talking and not doing the "running code" bit.

What really bothers me is the apparent popularity of a mindset, in a
group of people that claims to be doing engineering, that we
should just try something without really thinking about it, and without
a good way to evaluate the experiment objectively.

Now, wait - I agree up to a point.

Yes, we need to carefully analyze what we're doing, because experimentation won't easily show if a proposed solution will actually scale to the level we need, is secure enough, and is flexible enough to cope with future demands that we've not thought of. This much is, hopefully, not up for debate.

But there's a really simple experiment that's easy to do, and results in a useful, concrete result. The hypothesis to test is "does it actually work", the experiment is "suck it and see", and the result is, one hopes, "yeah, I did this", with an optional "but this bit was tricky" that we can feed back into the design process.

Unless that experiment is done, we aren't engineers, we're philosophers.

The fundamental assumption of engineering is that you can make better (more effective, reliable, and cost-effective) solutions to problems if you (a) first understand what problem you are trying to solve, and (b) analyze your proposed solutions (and choose and/or refine them based on analysis) before building them.
We're lucky, because we work in computers, so we can actually make a distinction between "building" and "deploying". Exchanging the word "building" in this portion of your message for "deploying" makes me happier with what it says. Changing "analyze" for "building", and I'm in agreement.

Dave.
--
          You see things; and you say "Why?"
   - George Bernard Shaw