Re: Moving from "hosts" to "sponsors"

2006-03-24 09:02:19

I agree that interim WG meetings would be useful, but here is a
further proposal:

There are quite a few really good ideas for improvements to IETF productivity. The problem with taking a particular suggestion and then adding others to it will be that nothing gets considered in detail and nothing gets done.

The original suggestion was quite specific:

Take the kinds of funds spent by meeting hosts and, instead, have them become meeting sponsors, with meeting venue logistics handled by the IETF itself, separately. In return for meeting sponsorship, give the sponsor various marketing opportunities as the meeting, similar to what hosts currently enjoy.

In other words, I am suggesting a single, conceptually small change to the current model. Its purpose is to permit vastly better meeting planning than we currently can achieve, due to the delays inherent in having meeting hosts.

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking