Re: Sponsors and influence (Re: Making IETF happening in different regions)

2006-03-24 09:07:44
Harald Alvestrand wrote:

One option I do NOT want to consider (and which the 770 stand in the lobby kind of dented a little) is to add a tradeshow to the IETF meeting.

Thinking about this further, I am struck by the fact that the 770 booth and the wifi phone booth in Japan were wildly popular with attendees. So the concern you raise is a very real and very serious slippery-slope, but portions of that slope seem to be entirely acceptable to the IETF attendees.

Here is a guess at the rule we should impose:

A sponsor donating a sufficiently large amount may have a small booth for the sale of a single product that is a) unannounced or has been announced within the last [6] months, and b) appropriate for purchase and use by individuals.

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking