Re: Moving from "hosts" to "sponsors"

2006-03-26 11:26:52
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Tim Chown wrote:

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:43:57PM -0500, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
Indeed. Not only is it small, it isn't where corporate bean counters
put their attention, which is air fare, hotel, and per diem.

Brian,

this is not universally true. With cheaper air fares and not staying
in the overpriced Hilton hotel rooms, my IETF65 meeting fee was
almost exactly the same as my combined hotel and air fare costs. For
those of us not on corporate expense accounts, it's the total amount
that matters.

Being trapped away from the IETF hotel for one night by the flood, the
quality of a nearish (5-10 min drive, probably 1h walk) motel was a
little of an eye opener, very similar quality for $69+taxes, and a
bigger bathroom.   Why the Hilton creates such enormous rooms with such
small en-suites is a mystery to me :)

The hotel was built by Trammell Crow and has a been a loews, wyndham and now a hilton (but only for 3 months). So, while hilton hotels inc gets some blame for certain things (rooms had better soap when it was wyndham) it hardly assumes blame for all of them.