technical tutorials (was: RE: Moving from "hosts" to "sponsors")

2006-03-26 05:50:20

-----Original Message-----
From: Hallam-Baker, Phillip [mailto:pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com]

I don't think that the current meetings are power-point laden
summaries, but that would actually be useful. I often end up
going to sessions at conferences to find out what a WG is
intended to achieve. This only happens at IETF in the BOFs.

I am not too worried about ending up with a trade show. The
real danger as I see it is adding a speaker track or having
open access to the trade show. A secondary risk is that
people who want to go to attend the IETF would get seconded
to man the booth.

I believe that I made this proposal in the past, in a plenary session a
while ago, when numbers in the IETF particpation were the issue.
Discussions hold then led to the edu track, which is however focused on
IETF process and not on technical or tutorial content.

I do not see why should not the IETF offer a full Sunday track of
tutorials with technical content. Why should one go to a industry
conference or trade show to hear what is going on in an IETF WG, when
the principal contributors (WG chairs, editors) who usually give these
talks are all attending the IETF meetings? Having a full Sunday track of
tutorials would not only attract new people to come to the IETF and help
them justify to their employers and to themselves the cost of the
travel, but also improve the level of understanding of the technical
material in the WGs, increasing the chances that new attendees would
become active participants in a shorter time.

We can even play with different fees structure (conference only,
tutorial only, conference + tutorial) to help people optimize their
costs.

The extra money resulting from the tutorial fees and increased
participation would lower sponsoring costs, and hopefully the meeting
fees for the technical contributors.

Dan