Re: Reality (was RE: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.)

2006-04-10 11:04:31
Noel Chiappa wrote:

Many years ago now, a funny thing happened on the way to "complete exhaustion
of the IPv4 address space (Version 1)". Some clever people worked out this
ugly hack, which the marketplace judged - despite its ugliness - to be a
superior solution to the forklift upgrade to IPv6. It's been selling like
hot-cakes ever since, while IPv6 languished.

Wasn't there a thing called ISO or OSI?

The think that was meant to revolutionize the internet. I still have my
ISODE kit running on my old machines that probably never will run IPv6.

ISODE could seamlessly run over IPv4 and directly on the ISDN interface.
Only today ISDN runs over IPv4 itself :)

I've become rather disenchanted with my crystal ball, which seems quite
cloudy of late (if you'd told me, in 1986, we'd still be running a
Destination-Vector routing architecture for a routing table of this size 20
years later, I'd have *known* you were bonkers), so I have no specific
prediction to make, but...

Exactly here thems to be IPv6 biggest problem.

The people playing with IPv6 could not but connect via IPv4 tunnels.
Nobody had a clue about routing. In the old 3fff:: network network1/64
was in Stockholm, network2/64 in Newyork, network3/64 in Stockholm again
and so on. This was not a problem because everybody was connected by
point-to-point links and the routing was done by IPv4.

Now they have changed to the 2001:: network but they still have no clue
about the routing issues at all.

To make things worse site local IPv6 addresses were deprecated. So you
dont have a chance to number your machines locally and play with IPv6
for learning. You have to get an official /64 network to run your site.

Don't be surprised if the world, facing "complete exhaustion of the IPv4
address space (Version 2)" decides, yet again, that some sort of Plan B is a
better choice than a conversion to IPv6.

RFC 1347   TUBA: A Proposal for Addressing and Routing   June 1992

I have no idea exactly what it will be (maybe a free market in IPv4
addresses, plus layered NAT's, to name just one possibility), but there are a
lot of clever people out there, and *once events force them to turn their
attention to this particular alligator*, don't be surprised if they don't
come up with yet another workaround.

        Noel

The chinese internet with its own root and TLDs like
XN--55QX5D, XN--FIQS8S, XN--IO0A7I
and the Great Firewall Router is researching into TUBA and I dont
beleave we will like the outcome. Every dictator will like it.

Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier
The Public-Root Consortium