Re: Reality (was RE: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.)

2006-04-10 19:27:00
Iljitsch van Beijnum writes:

That's the popular view. In reality, people deployed NAT mostly for
reasons that have little to do with the global IPv4 address
depletion.

They deployed it mainly because getting an IPv4 address costs money,
and involves considerable red tape.  Mainly because it costs money.

The future just doesn't want to honor the principle of least
astonishment: what we expect to change, often stays the same, while
what we expect to stay the same, more often than not changes.

Yes, this is the problem faced by all futurists, including those who
work in IT.  The only thing that one can reliably predict is the
unknown.

Everyone who thinks that regular users are going to forego IPv4
connectivity in favor of IPv6 connectivity as long as IPv4 still
works to a remotely usable degree is a card carrying member of the
Internet Fantasy Task Force*.

Yes.  Even I don't plan to do so unless my ISP forces the issue; the
change would bring me nothing and would cost time and money to
implement.